In response to Richard Vieira’s article on U.S. intervention, I wish to reiterate that self-determination for the Syrian people doesn’t equate to a regime change by the U.S. or any other foreign government.

Also, his mention of Hezbollah being a terrorist group is meaningless when the state department labeled Nelson Mandela and African National Congress a terrorist organization until 2008.

It’s not surprising that an anti-imperialist group that has the hearts and minds of the people resisting domination would be classified as a terrorist group by the U.S. and Israel.

He also described the Christian population without any mention of the attacks they have faced at the hands of the Free Syrian Army where the Assad government serves as their only protection against ethnic cleansing.

To end, his notion that Syria must be Balkanized shows his lack of understanding of the how disastrous that would be for the Syrian people. Why are Americans being used as pawns to support a group that has elements of al-Qaeda and waves a colonial French mandate flag?

This letter to the editor ran on page 7 on 9/18/2013 under the headline "Response to Richard Vieira’s Friday column"