<p>Florida senior defensive tackle Dominique Easley (2) chases Miami running back Duke Johnson (8) during the Gators’ 21-16 loss to the Hurricanes on Sept. 7 in Sun Life Stadium. UF is No. 3 in the nation in total defense, allowing 208.5 yards per game this season.</p>

Florida senior defensive tackle Dominique Easley (2) chases Miami running back Duke Johnson (8) during the Gators’ 21-16 loss to the Hurricanes on Sept. 7 in Sun Life Stadium. UF is No. 3 in the nation in total defense, allowing 208.5 yards per game this season.

Dominique Easley is his own harshest critic.

Despite No. 19 Florida boasting the nation’s third-best total defense — the Gators are allowing a meager 208.5 yards per game this season — Easley, the unquestioned leader of the unit, is unsatisfied.

“In my life, I strive for perfection,” Easley said. “If there’s no perfection, there’s no greatness, and we are supposed to be great.”

Raw numbers suggest Easley and the UF defense have already succeeded in reaching greatness — even if the 6-foot-2, 285-pound senior defensive tackle believes otherwise.

The Gators have allowed 13.5 points per game — 17th fewest in the country — despite facing Toledo and Miami, teams that have combined to average 30 points per game when not facing Florida this season.

UF’s defense has been even better on third down — often considered the money down for great defenses — to help the Gators control the ball each game for 39:04, the nation’s top time of possession.

Of the 24 third-down conversions attempted by the Rockets and Hurricanes, the Gators have surrendered just two first downs for a 91.7 percent success rate, which is 7.3 percent better than any other defense in the country.

Still, Easley believes there is room for improvement before the Gators can be considered an elite defensive unit.

“Our goal is not to let an offense score, period,” he said. “So once we manage to get that stat, we could say we have one of the best defenses.”

Of his own play, Easley added: “I think I can play better. … I just gotta step it up more.”

D.J. Durkin expressed a more positive opinion on Easley’s play when asked Wednesday, but Florida’s first-year defensive coordinator was pleased to hear of Easley’s desire for self- and team-improvement.

“He’s played better than all right,” Durkin said of Easley. “I’m glad he’s hard on himself that way. He’s a very self-motivated guy. That guy has an unbelievable motor, and he’s definitely been better than all right.”

Easley has spearheaded Florida’s defense this season. He is tied for second on the team with two tackles for a loss and three quarterback hurries. He has also added four total tackles.

His play has caught the attention of former Florida defensive lineman Sharrif Floyd, who spent three seasons in the trenches with Easley.

“He’s a top-10 pick in my eyes,” said Floyd, who is now a defensive lineman for the Minnesota Vikings.

“We’ve all got our opinions, but I’ve physically played next to him and see and practiced with him, so I know what he can do.”

Easley’s versatility will be put to the test against Tennessee on Saturday at 3:30 p.m. in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. The Volunteers feature one of the nation’s staunchest offensive lines and have allowed just two sacks in three games this season.

“It’s a big challenge for our [defense],” Durkin said. “I think they’re excited for it.”

Follow Phil Heilman on Twitter @phillip_heilman.