Barbecue restaurant mural not up-to-code, city says

A newly opened barbecue restaurant decided to grace one of its outside walls with a mural. But there is one thing keeping the vibrant, pink pig flashing its pearly whites on the side of the building from complying with city regulations.

In an email to city commissioners, City Manager Russ Blackburn explained that Billy-Bobz Bar-B-Q’s mural, located at 1228 W. University Ave., includes the restaurant’s name in the artwork.

Because “Billy-Bobz Bar-B-Q” is painted next to the pig advertising the business without a permit to do so, this converts the artwork from a mural to a sign in accordance with the city’s sign code.

“This ordinance prohibits erecting a sign without obtaining the required permits,” said city spokesman Bob Woods.

The restaurant was given a written notice by the city Sept. 13 mandating it comply by taking down the sign or applying for a permit. City code enforcer Chris Cooper gave the business 60 days to comply with city ordinances to work out a solution. Otherwise, the case will be sent to the Code Board and fines could be imposed.

Blackburn wrote in an email that the Modern Age Tobacco and Gift Shop’s mural — located at 1122 W. University Ave. — is a similar case.

He said the mural was at one time in compliance with city codes but has since “freshened up” by adding its name — an instance Blackburn said city staff will also follow up on.

“If the owner applies for the permit, city staff will work to find a viable option for the business owner while still meeting requirements of city ordinances,” Woods said.

Derek Dever, co-owner of Billy-Bobz, said throughout the negotiations, customers at Billy-Bobz Bar-B-Q have given the restaurant “nothing but support.”

“We are just a new business trying to get our name out there,” he said.

A version of this story ran on page 3 on 10/1/2013 under the headline "Mural at barbecue restaurant sparks saucy negotiations"