Career showcase begins today for non-technical positions

<p>Students and alumni wait in line for the Career Showcase Non-Technical Day in the Stephen C. O’Connell Center on Tuesday. Technical Day, today, is from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. for students majoring in engineering, biology, computer sciences and other technical fields.</p>

Students and alumni wait in line for the Career Showcase Non-Technical Day in the Stephen C. O’Connell Center on Tuesday. Technical Day, today, is from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. for students majoring in engineering, biology, computer sciences and other technical fields.

Today won’t be the first time Luis and Leo attend the Career Showcase.

Both UF mechanical engineering students and repeat Career Showcase attendees, the two have hopes of working for aerospace engineering companies like SpaceX.

But Luis Valle, 23, and Leo Caro, 24, have different strategies to land a job.

The two-day Career Showcase beginning today from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. welcomes UF students and alumni to the O’Connell Center to meet with more than 300 companies, including Dropbox, Delta Airlines, Microsoft and the CIA.

The first day is for non-technical positions, according to a news release. Wednesday will be for technical jobs, like engineering and computer science.

This year, there will be a LinkedIn photobooth for students to take headshots for their online profiles, said Dana McPherson, Career Resource Center spokeswoman.

Held twice a year, the showcase is the largest career fair in the Southeast, according to the release.

Valle has attended every showcase since last year, but has always sought out different companies.

“As time progresses in college, you get to know yourself better and you start shaping yourself toward what you really want to do,” Valle said.

As for Caro, he’s gone after the same company every time.

Now he’s going back to try again.

“It’s definitely scary at the beginning, but I think it’s important for everyone to get out of their comfort zone and go there and give it a shot,” Valle said.

A version of this story ran on page 4 on 10/1/2013 under the headline "Career showcase begins today for non-technical positions"