It’s Saturday morning in The Swamp. Tailgates are already set up, corn hole has commenced and traffic is outrageous. Can you guess what day it is? That’s right, it’s game day.
The last thing we want to feel during a football game in The Swamp is tired, sluggish or as if we are going to explode from eating so much food. Considering the majority of the crowd is standing for the entire game, we need to make sure we have prepared our stomachs and bodies in the correct way to both last and thrive throughout all four quarters. No, that does not mean to down a huge burger and fries from Relish at midtown in fear that you will get hungry; rather, it means to eat something both healthy and filling that will give you the correct energy to dance and yell at the Gators football squad.
Although they will be buzzing with fans and even enemies on Saturday afternoons in Gainesville, grab a bite to eat at these restaurants to get the perfect pre-game fuel:
• Designer Greens: light, fresh and healthy, this is the optimal place to be before a game. They offer a killer “you pick two” combination of half a sandwich and half a salad that will provide just enough fuel to last until dinner. You can even get a huge salad or a full sandwich if you prefer.
• Pita Pit: Not craving a salad? No problem. Stop by this hotspot in Midtown to get a big pita sandwich that you can customize any way you like. With a combination of protein and vegetables, it is both delicious and nutritious.
• Sushi Chao: The options at this place are endless, so if you are indecisive and you like Asian food, simply swing by. Regardless of the choice you make, it being sushi, a sashimi bowl or the regular buffet style meal, you will leave feeling ready to cheer for the Gators for the entire game.
• Planet Smoothie: For those who are not too hungry or for the games that are at odd times of the day, grab a smoothie. They have so many choices, and even little snacks inside including protein bars, cookies and more.
• Jimmy Johns: This is definitely a campus favorite, and they can even deliver right to you in speedy time (have you seen those bikers?). There are assorted 8 inch subs and even salads to choose from, and everything is both filling and satisfying. Do I even need to mention how fast you will get your sandwich here?