Anniversaries are an important milestone in any relationship. I should know...my one-year is Sunday. And what accompanies anniversaries? Gifts.

Now, if you’re a perfectionist like me, finding an anniversary present is a difficult task because you want the perfect gift to give to that perfect person. And if you’re also like me and worry about everything, this task becomes even more challenging because you’re worried he/she won’t like it.

I can’t tell you how much I’ve stressed over this gift. I’ve consulted friends who have been with their significant other for years, read articles with ideas on what to get ‘that special someone’, and scavenged shopping mall windows to see if anything popped out at me. On my search, I’ve developed a few ideas on what good gifts could be, and what they’re not too.

For example, I’ve learned it’s true what they say: the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. If you can’t come up with a tangible gift, try something edible instead. Guys love sweet treats and goodies because not only are they good to eat, but show you put the effort forth to make something special for him. Other gifts that your guy will appreciate are his favorite cologne, a nice watch, or that video game he’s been raving about for weeks.

Now for girls, jewelry is almost always a good option. The tricky part is deciding what type to get for the occasion you need. A promise ring is probably not the appropriate gift after one month of dating. Start small, like earrings or a bracelet, and then go bigger and nicer, like a necklace or possibly a ring, depending on the event. You just have to know your significant other as to what they like. Flowers are a pretty universal gift too and work the same way as jewelry.

A great present that works for both guys and girls are cute, personal crafts. A handmade blanket, a CD of both of your favorite songs, or a picture collage are all great gifts. It can be something personal and thoughtful for your significant other.

Gifts don’t even have to be tangible. Planning a picnic and walk on the beach or doing the dishes and giving a back massage can be sweet surprises and show that someone special that you care.

No matter what present you decide on, know that it doesn’t matter; the actual day that you’re celebrating is more important. Take time to be with your special someone and enjoy each other’s company. They’re going to love whatever you get them. Why? Because it came from the person they love, you.