UF app announces updates from student feedback

<p>The UF Mobile app, released in June for both iPhone and Android, is anticipating updates in Spring, featuring dining menu information, parking information and more.</p>

The UF Mobile app, released in June for both iPhone and Android, is anticipating updates in Spring, featuring dining menu information, parking information and more.

With new, just-announced UF mobile app updates to come in the Spring, students won’t have to look further than their smartphones for important information on campus.

The UF Mobile app, released in June for both iPhone and Android, is working on updates suggested by and geared toward students, said Tracy Gale, communications manager for UF Information Technology.

Updates include dining information regarding menus and open/close indicators, parking information for specific lots and decals, and a feature that allows students to map their classes based on their course schedule, according to a news release.

“Based on the feedback we’ve received,” Gale said, “parking and dining were over and above the most common suggestion.”

Gale said the UF Mobile team meets regularly to evaluate what’s performing well and being used, as well as feedback received. Student feedback was the main method of deciding which updates to incorporate.

“We try to pick updates that will have maximum impact,” she said.

Hannah Helms, a 19-year-old UF public relations sophomore, is a frequent user of the app.

The new features will be especially useful for freshmen and transfer students, she said.

“By going to the students and asking what will make their lives easier,” she said, “people will definitely use the app more.”

A version of this story ran on page 4 on 10/9/2013 under the headline "UF app announces updates from student feedback"