Blueberry
Blueberry

It’s not a grape wearing spandex and a cape if that’s what you envision.

Superfoods are certain foods that are incredibly beneficial to one’s health, and some are thought to help certain illnesses or conditions.

Recently, it has become a buzzword associated with certain food fads. However, these foods do have some nutritional science to back them up.

All superfoods are natural, unprocessed foods that if cooked or prepared properly can be delicious without any artificial ingredients.

These certain superfoods contain large amounts of vitamins and nutrients, and can help fight off preventable diseases that can be partially traced back to bad diet, such as type two diabetes and heart disease.

Eating healthy overall and adding these foods into your habitual diet plan can also make you lose weight.

1. Spinach- high in iron, Spinach can help promote muscle health and oxygen flow throughout the body. It also has more than five times the daily dose of Vitamin K in one half a cup, which builds strong bones and helps blood clot.
  2. Strawberries- this fruit has more than 140 percent of the recommended dose of Vitamin C in one cup, and contains ellagitannins, which are phytochemicals that may halt the growth of cervical and colon cancers. They also have proven cardiovascular, blood sugar, and anti-aging benefits.
  3. Salmon- although this fish is not on the typical list of foods eaten by a college student, it is important to occasionally incorporate fish into your diet for the omega-3s that promote heart health. Salmon is high in monosaturated fats, which can lower cholesterol.   It can also help improve arthritis and has been linked to slowing down memory loss and Alzheimer’s progression.
  4. Dark chocolate- Let’s be honest here, chocolate just makes everyone happy. But there are actually health benefits to dark chocolate. It can lower blood pressure and has tons of antioxidants. Make sure to pick up chocolate with at least 50 percent cocoa content, preferably as high as you can that isn’t too bitter. It also has small amounts of caffeine for an energy boost while studying.