With larger financial net to cast, St. Francis House reopens Arbor House shelter for women and children

After months of being closed, Arbor House reopened its doors to pregnant or single women, or women with young children.

The home, which closed due to financial struggles, is being reopened by the St. Francis House, which runs several shelters and transition homes throughout Gainesville.

Kent Vann, the new executive director of Arbor House, said under the new management, the home can stay open and continue serving the community.

“The biggest benefit is we’re not losing these beds,” he said, referring to the 30 slots Arbor House has for women and children.

The facility is paid for in part by rent, which costs about $300 per room and no more than 30 percent of a resident’s income. He said the home gets further funding through grants, foundations and the community.

Vann said previous management of Arbor House had struggles with funding, but St. Francis House has a bigger umbrella to support it.

“It will be a struggle for us,” he said.

Women who live in Arbor House can stay for a year while they work with a case manager to improve their lives, Vann said.

“They can leave here with something they didn’t have before,” Vann said. He said currently they are helping a woman earn her GED certificate and provided her with a safe place to have her baby a few weeks ago.

To become a resident of Arbor House, women must undergo a screening process, which includes passing a background check and proving they have enough funds to pay rent. He added they must be female, and if they have a male child, he must be younger than 9 years old.

“We’re just getting started,” said Katelyn Drummet, 22, shelter support staff. “It’s good we’re helping them better themselves for living on their own.”

A version of this story ran on page 8 on 10/16/2013 under the headline "St. Francis reopens Arbor House"