<p>Michael Angelakos, the lead singer for Passion Pit, performs as the last act of the night at Coastline Music Festival.</p>

Michael Angelakos, the lead singer for Passion Pit, performs as the last act of the night at Coastline Music Festival.

Indie rockers came out in droves for Florida’s first Coastline Festival — featuring bands like Matt and Kim, Two Door Cinema Club and Passion Pit.

The festival was a two-day affair, with bands playing from about noon to 11 p.m. in Tampa on Saturday and performing in West Palm Beach on Sunday. The event featured food and drinks from local food trucks and craft breweries in the area.

Held at the MidFlorida Credit Union Amphitheatre, Tampa’s event was largely outdoors, with the smaller stage for newer acts held outside near the food trucks and the larger, main stage inside the open amphitheater, where the headliners played.

Despite some speed bumps due to the festival being held for the first time, many people reacted positively.

“So far, it’s a good vibe,” said Tambari Piawah, a 19-year-old UF biology sophomore.

People also agreed that walking between the two stages provided a unique experience.

Michael Dang, a 19-year-old University of South Florida premed sophomore from St. Petersburg, said the festival atmosphere was better than if the show had just been a regular concert.

“There is more stuff to do,” he said. “I plan to walk back and forth.”

Still, there were some setbacks to the concert. People complained about not having enough food trucks for the crowd and the trucks running out of food.

One of the largest complaints was that beer couldn’t be brought out to the food truck area and could only stay inside a special fenced-in area away from the concert stages and eating zone. This resulted in people not being able to watch the outside bands, eat food and drink at the same time. Signs posted said the separation of the outdoor concert area from the beer tent was because of liquor license issues.

“I like it, but I don’t understand why we can’t drink out there,” said Lauren Eddy, a 24-year-old from Tampa who works in real estate. “I would like to eat and drink together.”

Another complaint was from the local artists and vendors there to sell their work. The vendors were on the opposite side of the main stage, away from the food and drink vendors.

Rachel Finn, co-owner of Madeira Beach store When I Grow Up, which sells tie-dye clothing, said she paid $65 to have a spot at the festival, but she felt like it wasn’t quite worth it because she didn’t get as much traffic. Still, she said she had a good time.

“I never have expectations. Then, I can never be disappointed,” she said.

Overall, for the first year, the festival got positive reviews, especially with the impressive lineup and dynamic bands like Matt & Kim.

A version of this story ran on page 11 on 11/14/2013 under the headline "First Coastline Festival brings big names, good vibes to Florida"

Spectators pack the front row to see the Neighbourhood at the first Coastline Music Festival at the MidFlorida Credit Union Amphitheatre in Tampa on Saturday.