Gainesville not pursuing downtown ice skating rink this year

<p>Technical problems have forced the abandonment of efforts to construct an ice rink downtown on Bo Diddley Plaza. The white tarp pitched above the plaza's grassy pit was the only remnant from the rink Sunday afternoon.</p>

Technical problems have forced the abandonment of efforts to construct an ice rink downtown on Bo Diddley Plaza. The white tarp pitched above the plaza's grassy pit was the only remnant from the rink Sunday afternoon.

Bo Diddley Community Plaza will remain thawed-out for at least the sixth consecutive year.

City officials say Gainesville has not pursued bringing an ice rink back to the plaza after a scrubbed attempt last year.

Finances are one roadblock, said City of Gainesville spokesman Bob Woods. In years past, the city had to subsidize the rink.

“The cost of the rink to the city ranged from $120,000 to $150,000 per year,” Woods said. “Due to the cost, we decided not to have the ice rink.”

Interim Manager of Cultural Affairs Russell Etling, said no other vendor has reached out to the city this year to promote an ice rink, and the city can’t afford the financial risk.

“The only way we could have the rink would be with an independent contractor,” Etling said.

Prior to 2007, the downtown plaza used to feature an ice skating rink every winter, but the city’s parks and recreation department could no longer afford the cost of the winter wonderland transformation.

Last winter, students and residents alike were excited an outside contractor was going to bring the ice rink back.

Midwest Displays, a Pensacola-based commercial Christmas display company, attempted to bring the rink last year.

The obstacles that eventually froze the project included several unsuccessful repairs to the chiller lines that freeze the ice and difficulties fitting the ice rink on the plaza.

According to Alligator archives, the city also struggled with the 35-foot tent designed to cover the ice.

Daniel Landesberg, a 21-year-old UF telecommunication senior, said an ice skating rink would be a positive addition to the city and a great place to go on dates or to hang out with friends.

“Hopefully, we will be able to bring back the rink in the future,” Landesberg said.

The city still plans to have other events to encourage the holiday spirit.

On Dec. 7 at 6 p.m., the annual tree lighting ceremony will take place at the Thomas Center.

The city will also decorate the downtown area, including Bo Diddley Community Plaza and City Hall, with light displays.

Woods said installations are set to begin the week after Thanksgiving.

A version of this story ran on page 1 on 11/26/2013 under the headline "Gainesville not pursuing downtown ice skating rink this year"