<p>Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston (5) escapes a sack attempt by Syracuse linebacker Marquis Spruill (11) during the Seminoles’ 59-3 victory against the Orange on Nov. 16 in Tallahassee.</p>

Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston (5) escapes a sack attempt by Syracuse linebacker Marquis Spruill (11) during the Seminoles’ 59-3 victory against the Orange on Nov. 16 in Tallahassee.

Florida State University is famous for its “Flying High Circus.” But another act in Tallahassee has become even wilder. Little talk in the college football world these days does not concern Seminoles redshirt freshman quarterback Jameis Winston.

The national spotlight is fixated on Winston, who is leading No. 2 Florida State through a dream season on the field, while facing allegations of sexual assault off the gridiron. But all the Gators see is another quarterback eager to tear apart their reeling defense.

“He’s a total package,” coach Will Muschamp said of Winston. “I don’t know where you start: his arm strength, he’s got a big arm; he can make all the throws. He has a tough throw. He can zip the ball in there.”

No quarterback in college football zips the ball in there better than Winston, who leads the nation with a 194.51 passer rating and ranks fifth with a 69.6 completion percentage.

Winston’s efficiency is generating record results.

His 32 touchdown passes — already an Atlantic Coast Conference freshman record — rank third nationally, and his 3,163 passing yards are only 145 yards behind former FSU signal-caller Drew Weatherford’s ACC freshman record of 3,208 yards through the air.

He also gets the job done with his legs.

Excluding sacks, Winston has rushed for 310 yards and three touchdowns on 51 carries. But Winston is not a guy who just takes off and runs at the first sign of trouble.

“He understands where he is taking the football,” Muschamp said. “He’s got really good pocket presence. He can hurt you with his legs. He’s a good athlete as well, but he’s a quarterback first and that’s what you see with him.”

Defensive back Jaylen Watkins added: “He’s kind of like [Buffalo Bills quarterback EJ Manuel]. (Winston) can run a little bit, but definitely his strength is passing.”

But the comparisons of Winston to Manuel go beyond athleticism and playing style. Several Gators praised Winston’s ability to step in and assume a leadership role for FSU.

In his first season of college football, the Bessemer, Ala., native has led the Seminoles to their first undefeated road record in the ACC since 2000.

Winston’s first victory away from Tallahassee was a 41-13 win against Pittsburgh on Sept. 2 in his collegiate debut. Winston completed 25 of 27 passes for 356 yards and four touchdowns in a romp at Heinz Field.

He also shined in a 51-14 win against formerly third-ranked Clemson on Oct. 19. Winston silenced the hostile Death Valley crowd of 83,428 with 444 passing yards and four total touchdowns. If Winston leads Florida State to another road victory on Saturday, he will help the Seminoles accomplish their fourth 12-0 season in program history.

“He’s a great leader,” Watkins said. “That’s the first thing I noticed from watching their games. That’s probably his biggest attribute — as a leader to his team.”

While Winston and Florida State have been almost unstoppable this season, Florida has been quite the opposite.

The Seminoles have scored 41 points or more in every game this season, including an 80-point showing against Idaho last weekend at Doak Campbell Stadium. Meanwhile, the Gators have scored only 94 points during their current six-game losing streak.

Florida State ranks second nationally in scoring offense with 55.2 points per game, while Florida ranks 112th with 19.9. At its current scoring rate, the Gators would need to play 31 games to exceed FSU’s point total through 11 contests this season.

UF also trails far behind in total offense, coming in at 111th in the nation with 327.9 yards per game. Winston alone averages 299 total yards per contest.

“We’ve got to do a better job,” third-string quarterback Skyler Mornhinweg said. “It’s on us. We’ve got to make some plays, so we’re working hard this week trying to get back out there and produce some points.”

But whether Saturday’s game is a shootout like last season’s 63-point affair or a low-scoring showdown like Florida’s 21-7 loss to Florida State in 2011, the Gators are confident they can keep up with Winston and the second-ranked Seminoles.

“We definitely know we can compete with them,” Watkins said.

Follow Joe Morgan on Twitter @joe_morgan.