According to the Calorie Control Council, the average American downs up to 4,500 calories leading up to and including the big kahuna — Thanksgiving dinner — and that figure doesn’t even include breakfast, lunch and snacks along the way. Don’t deprive yourself of enjoying good food, family and friends during the holidays, but use these tips and tricks to help guide you in making healthier choices. This way you can have your pumpkin pie and eat it, too.

To put it into perspective, check out this list from ABC News to illustrate what it would take to burn off a single serving of some of the most popular holiday dishes.

Nine do’s and don’ts to help you have a thin Thanksgiving

1. Don’t skip breakfast. Skipping meals causes the body to store fat because it doesn’t know when it will be fed next. You can eat lighter throughout the day, but completely forgoing food until dinnertime will only make you ravenous and more likely to overeat.

2. Do something active during the day. I know, I know, but the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade is on TV and then football — all day. Well, why not try throwing a football outside during halftime. I race my little brother in 20-yard sprints for 20 minutes in attempts to claim the fastest sibling award. I lose every time, but at least I get some solid cardio out of it and, of course, sibling bonding time.

3. Don’t load up on appetizers. Finger foods are so easy to pop in your mouth. But don’t underestimate these little guys. They are generally full of hidden fat and calories that you can save for the big meal. If you need to hold yourself over, try choosing raw vegetables with dip over cheese and crackers.

4. Do go for the breast. And skip the skin. You will save about 100 calories instead of eating the dark meat found in the thigh.

5. Don’t overdo the sauces, gravy and dressings. At 16 calories for two tablespoons of gravy and 86 calories for one slice of canned cranberry sauce, according to Women’s Health, this number can add up fast. Always ask for dressings on the side when you can, and dip rather than pour on top.

6. Do fill your plate with greens first. Loading up on vegetables will fill you up with nutrition-rich foods, making it less likely that you overeat the not-so-good-for-you dishes.

7. Don’t run face-first to the dessert table. Wait 15 to 20 minutes after eating to properly gauge how full your tummy is. Then, when it’s time for dessert, go for it. Try to resist the added whipped cream or ice cream on top, though.

8. Do eat slowly. According to “Healthy Eating” on the San Francisco Chronicle website, “Your stomach can hold up to 4 liters of volume — about 17 cups — but the feeling of satiety is not caused by your stomach being full. Instead, feeling full is a result of your brain reacting to chemicals released when you put food or drink in your stomach. Your brain takes around 20 minutes to register these chemicals.” Your stomach may be able to handle it, but your waistline will not.

9. Don’t (well, try your best) be drunk before the meal. Drinking alcohol tends to lower inhibitions, making you care less about nutrition and more about getting food into your mouth, ASAP. Plus, alcohol calories add up quickly.

Healthy Pumpkin Pie Recipe

Guiltless Pumpkin Pie

Recipe originally from gosupersisters.com/guiltless-pumpkin-pie/#more-3839. For more delicious recipes like this one — while providing the nutritional information — I suggest you check them out on Instagram: @GoSuperSisters

For graham cracker crust:

4 full graham cracker sheets

3/4 cup mashed banana OR 1/4 cup melted butter

1/4 cup protein powder (we used Trutein Cinnabun) OR 1/4 baking stevia

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees and spray an 8 or 9-inch pie pan with nonstick spray. To make your crust, in a medium bowl, crush graham crackers and mix with banana (or butter) and protein powder (you may need to add a little bit of water to get this to mix, but you want a very thick “dough”). Press “dough” into pie pan to form your crust. Bake for five to six minutes, then remove from oven to cool.

For oatmeal crust:

1 cup old-fashioned oats

1/4 cup oat flour

1 tbs coconut oil or unsalted butter

1/4 cup warm water

1/4 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 cup baking stevia

Preheat oven to 425 degrees and spray an 8- or 9-inch pie pan with nonstick spray. In a small bowl, combine all dry ingredients for the crust and mix well. In another small bowl, combine the warm water and coconut oil, and beat well. Slowly add the oil and water mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Press crust into the bottom of your pan and bake for five to six minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.

For pie filling:

1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree

2 egg whites

1/4 cup sugar-free or low-sugar syrup

1 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk

1/2 cup baking Stevia or sweetener that measures like sugar

1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

3/4 tsp salt

3/4 tsp vanilla

Combine all ingredients and mix until well combined. Pour into prepared crust pan and cook at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Then reduce temperature to 325 degrees and continue to bake for another 35 to 40 minutes. Remove pie and let cool, then place in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 4 hours.

Nutritional Information (Graham cracker, Oatmeal crust, respectively)

Servings: 8

Calories: 100, 90

Fat: 1.5, 3 g

Carbs: 19, 14 g

Fiber: 3.5, 3.5 g

Protein: 6, 3.5 g