Gainesville Police arrested two men Wednesday after it was reported they worked together to steal a cash register and beer from a downtown restaurant.

Officers arrested 33-year-old John Paul Stauff and 30-year-old Brandon Anthony Herbert on charges of burglary and petit theft, according to a GPD arrest report.

At about 6 a.m., police received an anonymous call that someone was breaking into the Lunchbox Café, at 104 SE First Ave., according to the report. The caller said the perpetrator was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt that said “Headhunter” on it.

Police found Stauff wearing the sweatshirt, according to the report. Behind Stauff was the cash register hidden under a blanket with several cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon from the restaurant.

Officers took Stauff and his supposed accomplice, Herbert, to GPD headquarters for questioning, according to the report. During the interview, Herbert told police he knew the café was left unlocked and told Stauff, who then tried to gather a group to break in.

Stauff told police he broke in and stole beer but didn’t admit to taking the cash register.

One witness also told police he saw the two men walking toward the business saying, “We’re gonna get paid!”

Officers booked Stauff and Herbert into the jail in lieu of $7,000 and $9,000 bonds.

A version of this story ran on page 11 on 11/8/2013 under the headline "Police: Men stole register, beer"