Texting may allow couples at UF to stay in touch more than ever before, but communicating via text is causing many partners to disconnect.

The Brigham Young University study, which was published in the Journal of Couple and Relationship Therapy last month, found that heavy texting is linked with relationship dissatisfaction in men and women.

The researchers studied couples ages 18 to 25 and found that about 82 percent texted each other multiple times every day.

According to the study, texting generally had a negative effect on relationships, especially when used as a means of communication for serious conversations. The only instance in which texting had a positive effect was when it was used to express affection.

UF psychology professor Laurie Mintz said the findings make sense because partners can miss many communication cues by texting.

“No matter how fast someone is texting, they’re not going to be able to communicate in the way that they can in person,” she said.

Mintz said people rely on other forms of communication besides words, like facial expressions, tone and intent, that do not translate into texts.

Mintz said more couples are communicating via text for two major reasons: Young adults see it as an appropriate form of communication, and it empowers them to say things they might not say in person.

“People are emboldened to say or do things in writing that they wouldn’t do in person because there is a distance,” she said.

Mintz said discussing a relationship through written communication isn’t always negative. Showing affection toward a partner is positive in any form, she said.

Chen Xie, a UF doctoral student who teaches Marriage and Family, said she agrees that texting can have a negative impact on relationships.

“Texting makes it easier for people to argue a lot,” she said.

Xie said texting can lead to misinterpretation of messages.

“People tend to see more negative or bad things through text messages,” she said.

Giovanna Sutherland, a 19-year-old UF biology freshman, said she thinks texting is probably harmful for relationships because constantly keeping tabs on each other can be tiring.

“When you get a text message from someone, you just have to answer,” she said.

Sutherland said texting also allows for misinterpretation, but she only thinks it will increase with couples.

“It’s the easiest way for communication today,” she said. “You can do it anywhere without being caught.”

Mintz said there is one key to all healthy relationships: communication.

“It doesn’t matter the age,” she said. “From college students through 70-year-olds, good relationships are built on good communication.”

A version of this story ran on page 3 on 11/12/2013 under the headline "Texting could hurt college relationships"