Dedrah Mathis wanted to thank two of her teaching assistants and show her appreciation for their work this semester, but showing appreciation as a student can be difficult in large lectures.

The 19-year-old UF sociology sophomore heard about Apple-4-U at the Campus Diplomat Fall Forum and decided to check it out.

From now through Friday, the Campus Diplomats want to help students send small tokens of appreciation to professors and TAs by offering notes and small gifts.

The diplomats have apple-themed erasers and pom-poms they will deliver for free. Students can visit the Campus Diplomats table on Turlington Plaza from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily to write notes to their teachers.

Students must supply the building and room number of their teacher or TA’s office, so the gifts and notes can be delivered Dec. 4.

Olivia Couret, co-chair of Apple-4-U, said she used to thank her teachers and give them gifts in high school.

“In college, it’s harder to approach teachers if you don’t have that relationship with them,” said Couret, a 19-year-old UF physics sophomore. “I feel like this is a great medium in which they can reach out to their teachers and give them thanks without having to worry.”

A version of this story ran on page 3 on 11/20/2013 under the headline "UF organization’s Apple-4-U offers free way to thank a professor"