Freshman leading the way after UF’s season-opening matches

<p>Kourtney Keegan attempts a volley during the Bedford Cup on Oct. 13, 2013, at the Ring Tennis Complex. Keegan won both of her singles matches in Florida’s opening weekend.</p>

Kourtney Keegan attempts a volley during the Bedford Cup on Oct. 13, 2013, at the Ring Tennis Complex. Keegan won both of her singles matches in Florida’s opening weekend.

With the ITA Kickoff Championship behind them, the No. 2 Gators’ season has not been a story of experience, repetition or expected outcomes. Instead, it has been a story of freshmen and firsts.

After two straight wins, the Gators are not complaining.

“We’re off to a pretty good start, I think,” coach Roland Thornqvist said. “We’ve played pretty well, but we’ve shown some nerves maybe at times.”

Florida got off to a solid start in its first two dual matches of the season, winning both without giving up a single point to either Louisville or Harvard.

During the weekend, seniors Alexandra Cercone and Olivia Janowicz each played at the No. 1 spot — previously reserved for former All-American Lauren Embree — for the first time in their careers. In addition, freshmen Kourtney Keegan, Stefani Stojic and Belinda Woolcock all competed in dual matches for the first time, but they played important roles on the team despite their lack of experience.

“It’s different,” Stojic said. “It’s never happened before, but I think all of us freshmen are ready for what’s ahead of us. I think it should be good.”

So far it has been, especially for Stojic.

The freshman clinched both of the Gators’ matches at the ITA Kickoff, winning all four sets she played.

In addition, Keegan made a strong debut, notching straight 6-0 sets against Harvard’s Amanda Lin on Sunday.

Keegan was the second Gator to wrap up her singles match, clearing the way for Stojic to seal the win.

The freshmen and the rest of the Florida squad will look to carry its two-game winning streak into its matches against UCF (1-0) today and No. 19 Baylor (6-0) on Saturday.

“You knew this week coming up, with these two matches, was going to be busy for us,” Thornqvist said. “The hay is sort of in the barn for us now as far as actual work. It’s more about getting your body ready, your mind ready and maybe polish up a thing or two. We’re going to do some doubles, maybe play some more points.”

Aside from gaining experience for the freshmen, who comprise almost half the team, playing better in doubles is an important goal for Thornqvist in the upcoming matches.

“That’s always our goal,” the 12th-year coach said.

Expect the Gators to continue experimenting with new pairs in doubles when they host the Knights at 3 p.m. today at the Ring Tennis Complex.

Follow Ian Cohen on Twitter @ibcohen5