Plenty of pit bulls feel the love at animal hospital grand opening

<p class="p1">Gainesville dog rescue organization Plenty of Pit Bulls hosted an adoption event to celebrate the opening of the Robertson's Animal Hospital on Saturday. Boomer is one of a few dogs who attended the event.&nbsp;</p>
<p class="p1"><em>This caption has been changed to reflect an editing error: Boomer was not adopted at the event; he was there to socialize with other pets.&nbsp;</em></p>

Gainesville dog rescue organization Plenty of Pit Bulls hosted an adoption event to celebrate the opening of the Robertson's Animal Hospital on Saturday. Boomer is one of a few dogs who attended the event. 

This caption has been changed to reflect an editing error: Boomer was not adopted at the event; he was there to socialize with other pets. 

Owner and veterinarian Jessica Robertson cradled a 2-month-old pit bull in her arms and smiled as it covered her cheek in tiny kisses.

At the grand opening celebration of Robertson’s Animal Hospital Saturday, local volunteer organization Plenty of Pit Bulls held a dog adoption drive from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Paula Miller, a “foster mom” who cares for some of the group’s rescued dogs until they find homes, brought her foster dog, Gemma, a 6-month-old female pit bull.

Miller, 67, said Gemma’s previous owner gave her up for adoption because the owner was a student and didn’t have enough time to take care of a dog.

“She’s come to find that the crate isn’t where she lives all the time,” Miller said of Gemma, whom she described as a cuddler.

Plenty of Pit Bulls, founded in 2010, rescues dogs from animal shelters in Putnam, Clay, Levy and Alachua counties, Miller said. Volunteers then foster the dogs until they find new homes.

Miller said she believes the media is responsible for the negative image many people have of the breed.

Plenty of Pit Bulls board member Blanca Carbia agreed with Miller. Carbia said the breed has developed a negative reputation from stereotypes about pit bull owners.

“If you have a powerful, intelligent, muscular animal at the end of the leash, you have to know about animals and animal behavior,” said Carbia, 55. She added that she hopes adoption-drive participants who hadn’t encountered a pit bull before have a better understanding of the breed.

Jagger — a 1-year-old male pit bull — and three 2-month-old pit bull puppies were also part of the adoption drive. Miller said by the end of the open house, adoption applications were filed for Gemma and a couple of the other puppies.

Miller said she thought giving up her foster dogs over the months would be hard, but she knows it is for the better.

“They’re going to a home where they’re really going to be loved,” she said.

This story has been changed to reflect an editing error: Robertson's animal hospital held its grand opening on Saturday, to which the organization Plenty of Pit Bulls was invited to. A version of this story ran on page 5 on 1/13/2014 under the headline "Pit bulls feel the love at adoption drive"