<p class="p1">A burlesque dancer, whose stage name is Stella O’Hare, practices for the group’s Friday show, which will be held at the Atlantic, 15 N. Main St. Doors open at 10 p.m., and the show starts at 11:30 p.m. Tickets cost $5. The show is Valentine’s Day-themed, but performers have personalized their acts.</p>

A burlesque dancer, whose stage name is Stella O’Hare, practices for the group’s Friday show, which will be held at the Atlantic, 15 N. Main St. Doors open at 10 p.m., and the show starts at 11:30 p.m. Tickets cost $5. The show is Valentine’s Day-themed, but performers have personalized their acts.

Thongs. Sparkles. Lace. Strip. Tease. Art.

That’s burlesque done by the Mischievous Madams, Gainesville’s first burlesque troupe, which will host a singles’ auction Saturday in an effort to give back to the community.

Made up of seven performers, the Madams make their own costumes, which they shimmy out of piece by piece until only a thong and pasties are left.

The troupe’s assistant manager, whose stage name is Lolita Lopez, said a challenge of doing burlesque is that it is often thought of as just stripping.

But she said she thinks of it as more of an art form.

“It’s incredibly body-positive and feminist,” she said. “And I love it. I really love it.”

Lopez also said she likes the amount of freedom she has with her performances, which allows her to incorporate her classical ballet training into her performances.

Another troupe member, whose stage name is Sally Sucre, said what’s beautiful about burlesque is that there is a different story behind every act.

“I like being naked,” she said. “It’s very liberating. But I like that it’s also art.”

On Saturday, the troupe will take a break from the stage to host its singles’ auction.

The proceeds will go to organizations in the community, which Lopez said is a major source of support for the troupe.

Bachelors and bachelorettes will be auctioned off on a date at the event.

It will take place at 10:30 p.m. at The Backyard at Boca Fiesta & Palomino, at 232 SE First St.

All the proceeds will go to the Civic Media Center, a local alternative library, and Peaceful Paths, a certified domestic abuse network that helps survivors of domestic violence, said Stephen Tierney, the troupe’s manager.

If anyone 18 or older is interested in being auctioned off, he or she can sign up at The Backyard, he said.

Those who sign up before the event will get in free before midnight, Lopez said. For everybody else, the cover is $5.

People who sign up to be auctioned off will put down their names, turn-ons and turn-offs and if they would like men, women or both to bid on them.

This is the Madams’ second singles auction, Tierney said. Last year the group raised more than $1,200 for the Lynnae Hottinger Foundation for Ovarian Cancer Research.

Tierney isn’t sure if any couples who met at the auction last year are still together, but he said people seemed happy with the pairings.

“I’ve seen people get up there and kiss right when they get on stage,” he said.

Lopez compared the event to karaoke. It starts off a little slow, but as people drink more, everybody wants to join in.

Lopez said if anyone doesn’t feel a spark with his or her bidder, he or she can opt out of the date. Bid money won’t be accepted, and the date doesn’t have to happen.

“We don’t want people feeling uncomfortable, but we do want people to broaden their horizons and meet new friends,” she said.

[A version of this story ran on page 7 on 2/13/2014 under the headline "Mischievous Madams to host singles’ auction after Valentine’s Day"]