A county advisory board for rape victims has six slots open.

Applications for the Alachua County Victim Services & Rape Crisis Center Advisory Council are due Friday.

Those who serve on the council are in charge of local events that support victims of sexual assault or violence and must attend meetings once a month.

The openings can be filled by any resident, student or employee of the county.

“The main thing to know on the board is that you don’t have to be a victim to be on the board,” said Jeremy Clements, advisory board coordinator.

The positions are available to students who wish to apply, but Clements said the timetable makes it more difficult for students to gain a spot because many leave Gainesville soon after graduation. Once a position on the board is assigned, it’s active for three years, he said. So far, Clements said five people have applied.

Kayla Ventura, a 20-year-old UF health sciences sophomore, said a place on the board would be a great opportunity for students who are passionate about victims’ advocacy. Ventura is part of a University Police program that lets students work with UF’s professional victims’ advocates.

“UF students can raise attention to the issues that contribute to rape and assault on campus,” Ventura said. “It would be awesome to really make a difference.”

[A version of this story ran on page 3 on 2/25/2014 under the headline “Six slots open on advisory board"]