Study: Sugar consumption linked to cardiovascular deaths

A sweet tooth can have some seriously sour consequences.

According to a recent study, eating sugary snacks can double the risk of dying from heart disease.

The Journal of the American Medical Association Internal Medicine’s February study found that U.S. adults who consume 25 percent of their daily diet in sugar were two times more likely to die from cardiovascular disease as people who limited their sugar intake to 7 percent of their daily diet.

Amber Wilhoit, a health dietician at UF, said college students are prone to consuming a lot of sugar without even realizing it.

“Coffee or soda for that extra pick-me-up are the main culprits,” Wilhoit said. “You’re essentially drinking one half of your suggested calories for the day.”

But not every student seems to fear the possibility of a death by heart disease from consuming too much sugar.

Melanie Berra, a 20-year-old UF sociology sophomore, said she is fond of her sweets.

“Ice cream gives me life,” Berra said. “In all seriousness, I guess it’s good to balance what you eat. Ice cream is really good, though.”

Wilhoit said the stress of college is a factor in some students’ poor diets.

“I think it’s not even realizing what you’re eating,” Wilhoit said. “Even fruit juices or sweet tea contributes a lot of sugary calories.”

Other students such as Alyssa Xedus, a 20-year-old UF international studies sophomore, said calories and sugar aren’t on her mind when she goes out to eat with friends.

“When I’m with other people for coffee or lunch, I’m not self-conscious about what I had,” Xedus said. “When I get home though, I ask myself why I just did that to my body.”

[A version of this story ran on page 8 on 2/11/2014 under the headline "Study: Sugar is risky"]