Monday, April 29, 2024

Army veteran gets new Gainesville home, mortgage-free

American flags lined the sidewalk of the tan one-story house while U.S. Army veteran Jason Rodriguez and his family stood waiting for the keys.

Bank of America and the Military Warriors Support Foundation awarded Rodriguez, 32, the Northwest Gainesville home mortgage-free.

Rodriguez’s wife, Brittany, said she’s excited to move in with her husband and two daughters.

“We really never expected to be recipients of such a great gift, and it just has been an honor,” the 25-year-old said.

Rodriguez served seven years in the U.S. Army as a sergeant and did two combat tours. He finished his time in 2007 and received the Purple Heart award, among others.

Military Warriors’ National Home mentoring coordinator Sally Farrell said the organization provides financial and home mentoring for three years and then hands over the deed as long as the family maintains the residence and pays taxes on the house.

“At that point,” she said, “they’re established in the neighborhood and ready to go.”

Bank of America in North Central Florida senior vice president Jon M. Gardner presented the Rodriguez family’s house key and commemorated their dedication to the country.

“I hold in my hand a key that I know unlocks the door to this home, but I believe — we believe — that it holds so much more than that and certainly hope this key unlocks opportunity for you and your family,” he said.

[A version of this story ran on page 4 on 3/25/2014 under the headline "Army veteran gets new home, mortgage-free"]