“Supermodel,” Foster the People’s sophomore album, dabbles in experimental instrumentality and philosophical lyricism.

Departing from the mainstream appeal of the previous record, the latest album succeeds in diversifying the band’s sound but fails in creating a memorable work.

The casual listener may find less to enjoy in Foster the People’s second outing. Although some tracks come close to matching the catchiness of songs like “Pumped Up Kicks,” Mark Foster’s writing takes a more experimental turn on this record.

Hooks and verses disappear in favor of often meandering musings. “Ask Yourself” urges the listener to consider their happiness without offering a deeper meaning.

The band’s sound also pursues experimental instrumentals, composed of ambient electronic beats and shoegazing guitar work. The new direction complements the overarching themes found in Foster’s often cynical lyrics.

However, like the songwriting, the instruments tend to digress. Drums and some guitar work sound muted when juxtaposed with Foster’s dominating voice.

The songs “Coming of Age” and “Best Friend” stand above the rest for balancing the band’s new direction with its proclivity for composing catchy tracks.

“Coming of Age” ponders the implications of emotional maturation with an invigorating chorus. “Best Friend” takes a page from disco classics as it contrasts a funky beat with a darker subtext about helping friends with drug abuse.

“Supermodel” ends up falling under the weight of its own philosophizing. The experimentation fails to register and the band’s strengths get lost in the process. At most, the album epitomizes a sophomore slump with a few stand-out tracks.

[A version of this story ran on page 10 on 3/20/2014 under the headline "Foster the People’s second album falls short of super"]