Gainesville Grandy’s to be replaced by PDQ in the summer

<p class="p1">Grandy’s franchise owner Dave Miles stands in front his restaurant on the corner of West University Avenue and Southwest 34th Street on Thursday.</p>

Grandy’s franchise owner Dave Miles stands in front his restaurant on the corner of West University Avenue and Southwest 34th Street on Thursday.

A lot of things have changed in Gainesville over the past 29 years, but one thing has stayed the same: Grandy’s, which has kept bellies full of fresh cinnamon rolls and country-fried steak.

This summer, the “homestyle in a hurry” restaurant will close its doors.

Dave Miles, owner of the Grandy’s located at 3401 W. University Ave., said the store’s close comes as no surprise.

He said he wanted to keep the doors open, but the recession hit the small business hard.

“If you don’t have a dollar menu, you suffer,” Miles, 52, said. “You can only discount so much.”

Miles said he had the option of renewing his lease a year and a half ago but didn’t feel confident in the idea of resigning a long-term lease on a 30-year-old building that needs remodeling.

Grandy’s is a franchise, so there are locations in seven other states that will remain open.

The Gainesville location will be replaced by People Dedicated to Quality, known as PDQ, which is backed by former Gators quarterback Tim Tebow. It’s a chicken restaurant.

Miles said PDQ has been “more than gracious” and has promised him that employees of Grandy’s will get priority interviews for the new restaurant.

Miles said he’s mainly concerned for his employees when Grandy’s closes.

Although he used to hire a lot of UF students, he said, he began taking on more middle-aged workers when the economy declined.

Some locals are sad to see the establishment close, like John Castronover, a long-time Gainesville resident and a Grandy’s regular.

“I am an old country fella, and it’s one of the few places I can get chicken livers, gizzards and turnip greens,” the 69-year-old said. “I am gonna miss that.”

Castronover, who graduated from Gainesville High School and UF, said he was surprised to hear the restaurant was closing.

He said every time he and his wife, Kathy, ate there, it seemed to be busy.

The restaurant, which Miles opened only two years after he graduated from UF, will close before the lease ends in August, although he does not have a specific date.

He said he’s not sure what he will do next because he has been his own boss for the past three decades.

He said he’s sad to see his business end.

But he is thankful for the loyalty from the community.

“I have been overwhelmed by the support over the last few days as word has gotten out,” Miles said. “Gainesville has been very good to me and my family.”

[A version of this story ran on page 1 on 3/14/2014 under the headline "Gainesville Grandy’s to be replaced by PDQ in the summer"]