<p>UF coach Kevin O'Sullivan watches from outside the dugout during the Gators' 9-7 loss to Southern Miss. in game one of NCAA Super Regional play in McKethan stadium Saturday, June 6, 2009. O'Sullivan and the Gators were eliminated from the 2014 NCAA Tournament in the regional round on Saturday.</p>

UF coach Kevin O'Sullivan watches from outside the dugout during the Gators' 9-7 loss to Southern Miss. in game one of NCAA Super Regional play in McKethan stadium Saturday, June 6, 2009. O'Sullivan and the Gators were eliminated from the 2014 NCAA Tournament in the regional round on Saturday.

The Gators defeated the top team in the nation Tuesday, but now they have to beat one of the best pitchers.

Ace pitcher Aaron Nola will take the hill for No. 4 LSU (20-5, 3-2 Southeastern Conference) against Florida (16-9, 3-3 SEC) tonight at 7:30 p.m. at McKethan Stadium.

“He’s arguably one of the best in the country, if not the best,” coach Kevin O’Sullivan said.

Nola, the star pitcher of a Tigers staff that boasts an ERA of 1.85, leads the SEC with a 0.22 ERA, which ranks third in the nation. He also leads the conference in strikeouts (56) and averages more than a punch out per inning.

When he faced Florida last season in Baton Rouge, La., Nola tossed a complete-game shutout, striking out three batters while allowing only four hits in LSU’s 5-0 win on May 3, 2013.

“He threw pretty well,” second baseman Casey Turgeon said. “He spots his fastball and he makes pitches when he needs to. A guy who can do that is usually pretty successful in college.”

Nola’s command is what allows him to dominate opposing hitters.

None of the junior’s pitches are usually rated above a 60 on the 20-80 scouting scale, but the 6-foot-1 right-hander has shown the ability to locate the ball and limit his walks. Through 40.1 innings this season, he has a 7:1 strikeout-to-walk ratio.

“The fact that he can locate multiple pitches for strikes (makes Nola effective),” left-handed pitcher Bobby Poyner said. “He can really locate the ball.”

Although his command and pitching skills takes him from solid pitcher to one of the country’s best, Nola’s pure “stuff” is nothing to sneeze at.

The junior’s fastball sits in the low to mid 90s, and he throws a strong changeup and slider.

“He’s got some dominating pitches,” O’Sullivan said. “He’s 90-94, he keeps the ball down, he locates No. 1 probably better than anybody in our league. He’s got a good breaking ball, a good changeup.”

If that wasn’t enough, Nola’s arm angle makes it even more difficult for opposing hitters to pick up the pitches coming out of his hand.

“I think it’s his slot and the sink on his ball,” shortstop Richie Martin said.

“It’s a little unusual. It comes like three-quarter, a little sidearm … It’s a different look.”

Up against Nola will be Florida sophomore Eric Hanhold (3-2, 3.18 ERA). Hanhold has made 12 appearances this season but only two of those were starts.

In his last outing, Hanhold went four innings against Texas A&M, surrendering five runs (four earned) and picking up the loss.

O’Sullivan said he moved Hanhold to Friday night ahead of freshman phenom Logan Shore — who will start Saturday — in order to give Shore a rest.

“He’s thrown two games back to back 100 pitches,” O’Sullivan said. “Eric only threw 65 pitches or so last Saturday, so I thought it would be smart to do that. Just give Logan one more day.”

Hanhold will need to improve upon his last start, because runs will certainly be at a premium tonight for the Gators’ offense.

“We got to find a way to chip away at him,” Martin said.

“We can’t give any opportunities away. When we get runners in scoring position, we have to take advantage. It’s going to be a tough night.”

Follow Adam Lichtenstein on Twitter @alichtenstein24