Sunday, October 06, 2024

City of Gainesville opens community grant applications to groups that help needy

The City of Gainesville opened its Community Grant Program applications Friday, and nonprofit student clubs are eligible to apply.

The program, which organizations can apply for until April 23, will give grants of up to $3,000 to local nonprofits that provide services to needy individuals and families in the community.

City of Gainesville spokesman Bob Woods said the city has recommended $125,000 be provided to fund the community grant program through the city’s budget.

Woods said if previous numbers hold true, the city expects about 50 nonprofits to apply for this grant program.

John Wachtel, neighborhood-planning coordinator for the city, said student organizations can apply to the grant as long as they’re in the city limits of Gainesville.

“We’re trying to aid as many programs as we can through this funding mechanism,” Wachtel said.

UF business management junior Quinn Middleton, 21, said her organization is planning to apply for the grant.

“We can’t grow without more resources,” said Middleton, co-founder of The Servant’s House Ministries at UF. “We’re really getting limited by what we have and what we need.”

The Servant’s House Ministries is a faith-based nonprofit with a mission to empower and equip university students to use their passions and talents to serve God and the community.

“This one (grant) would help us tremendously,” she said. “We could expand our whole infrastructure and operations.”

[Staff writer Kathryn Varn contributed to this report. A version of this story ran on page 5 on 4/11/2014 under the headline "City opens applications for grants to groups that help needy"]