Game of Thrones drinks debut at 2nd Street Speakeasy

Drinks are coming.

2nd Street Speakeasy, located at 21 SW Second St., unveiled a “Game of Thrones”-themed menu Friday before the start of season four.

General manager T.J. Talmieri said the bar staff has been planning this menu theme for five months.

“We’re all big fans of the show and kind of nerdy,” he said.

Talmieri said it’s obvious how some of the names relate to the show, such as “The Red Wedding,” which is inspired by a massacre in season three and contains bourbon, hibiscus tea and averna.

Kelly Micheau, a bartender at the speakeasy, said she and Talmieri tried to think of ways to represent the characters through drinks.

“It wasn’t like we made a Cosmo and named it after Khaleesi,” she said, referring to a main character in the show.

Micheau said their themed menu has drawn positive reactions because of the show’s popularity.

“It’s awesome we have the creative ability to do that,” she said.

In the past, the bar has featured other themed menus based on hit shows like “Mad Men” and “Breaking Bad.” Talmieri said it is open to the idea of another one in the future.

“It’s not planned out yet, but these things tend to go pretty well,” Talmieri said.

Afagh Zadeh, a 21-year-old UF architecture senior, said she is a frequent customer at the bar and thinks a themed menu like this adds hype to a night out.

“I feel like a town like Gainesville, which is based on cheap drinks for students, could use a little excitement with the drinks,” she said.

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 4/10/2014 under the headline "Game of Thrones drinks debut locally"]