Gilroy sets points record in Florida win against Vanderbilt

<p>After graduating 12 seniors in 2013, Florida looked to 2014 as a year of rebuilding with 11 new players on the field. However, Florida ended conference play undefeated despite the lack of experience. The Gators won their fourth straight American Lacrosse Conference regular-season title, second conference tournament title and made a fourth straight NCAA Quarterfinals appearance.</p>
<p>Next season, Florida will still be fighting to be the No. 1 seed, but coach Amanda O’Leary and company will have to do so in their new conference: The Big East.</p>

After graduating 12 seniors in 2013, Florida looked to 2014 as a year of rebuilding with 11 new players on the field. However, Florida ended conference play undefeated despite the lack of experience. The Gators won their fourth straight American Lacrosse Conference regular-season title, second conference tournament title and made a fourth straight NCAA Quarterfinals appearance.

Next season, Florida will still be fighting to be the No. 1 seed, but coach Amanda O’Leary and company will have to do so in their new conference: The Big East.

With the nostalgia of Senior Day lingering and the pressure to stay undefeated in the American Lacrosse Conference apparent, Florida came out ready to take the win Sunday.

Junior Shannon Gilroy made assists, freshman Sammi Burgess scored the goals and Lauren Lea recovered ground balls. Each player on the field had her role to play in keeping Florida (14-2, 5-0 ALC) undefeated in the ALC.

With only one conference game left in the regular season, the Gators’ 14-9 win against unranked Vanderbilt (4-10, 1-4 ALC) brought them just one game closer to finishing the conference without a loss.

Coach Amanda O’Leary said the game was one of the harder fought wins of the season.

“I don’t think the score was indicative of the game,” O’Leary said. “I think this was a much closer game.”

No. 4 Florida’s Burgess and Gilroy managed to set new records during its matchup.

Burgess, who has struggled to complete shots since March 26 at Stetson, scored a career-high four goals for the day. She finished the game with five points after assisting on a goal.

Gilroy, even if she hasn’t shown it in her performances, has also struggled fighting off defenders to make big goals for the Gators.

The junior fought against face guards all season, and Sunday’s game against Vanderbilt was no different.

“I’m just looking to do the best I can to get away from them,” Gilroy said. “I know the double team and triple team are going to be there, so then that gives me the opportunity to pass to my teammates and look for the layup.”

Even while Gilroy fought against a face guard, she managed to get two goals for the day and took the single-season points record from former teammate Kitty Cullen, who notched 86 in 2011. Gilroy now has 88.

Lea is a player who has been consistent on draw controls and ground balls all season. She and junior Nora Barry are the players who O’Leary refers to as a “difference maker” in games and are some of Florida’s most important players.

“Lauren is going to be that player that does the dirty work,” O’Leary said. “You’re not going to see her in the box score very often, but where you are going to see it is on the ground balls, on the draw controls. The difference makers, as I would say, in the games.”

With players like Burgess, Lea and Gilroy and the performances they bring to the game, Florida could close out its season with only two losses.

Burgess said Florida’s speedy offense is looking to continue scoring on fast breaks, which have resulted in quick points for UF all season. Burgess and Gilroy are two players who have done well in fast-break situations.

“When we transition that ball fast on a fast break, it’s unstoppable,” Burgess said. “If we continue to do it, we keep the fast-pace ball movement, I think there is no chance that we can lose.”

Follow Eden Otero on Twitter @edenotero_l

Shannon Gilroy looks to shoot the ball during Florida’s 18-7 win against High Point on Feb. 15 at Donald R. Dizney Stadium. Gilroy was named the Midfielder of the Year by womenslax.com after setting UF records in goals (86) and points (106).