<p align="justify">Hannah Rogers pitches during Florida’s 8-0 win against Indiana on Feb. 22 at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.</p>

Hannah Rogers pitches during Florida’s 8-0 win against Indiana on Feb. 22 at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.

After winning its first two games against Auburn on Friday and Saturday, Florida knew it needed a strong outing to clinch its first series sweep of the season on Sunday.

And behind an eight-inning shutout by senior Hannah Rogers, the No. 6 Gators (34-8, 8-7 Southeastern Conference) notched a 1-0 win over the No. 19 Tigers (31-9-1, 6-6 SEC) at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.

“I’m excited,” junior Lauren Haeger said. “We haven’t swept all season. It’s been a while since we won a series, so it’s always nice to win.”

With the game scoreless in the bottom of the eighth, Florida came to bat with the top of the lineup due up. After Kelsey Stewart grounded out to first base, sophomore Kirsti Merritt hit a double to center field. Haeger then scored Merritt with a go-ahead single to center field.

“If (Merritt) doesn’t get on base, I don’t even have a chance,” Haeger said. “She hit a hard ball up the middle and hustled to second to make that a double. ... I just wanted to get a base hit; I can’t get too picky.”

In her fifth shutout of the season, Rogers (16-6) limited Auburn to just four hits while retiring 14 straight batters to end the game.

“The biggest thing that I really looked forward to was Hannah Rogers throwing a shutout,” coach Tim Walton said. “Not only a regular shutout, but going the extra inning variety. She really pitched well.”

While Rogers only struck out three of the 26 batters she faced, stout defense provided the senior right-hander some insurance.

Junior shortstop Katie Medina, who started all three games of the series after not being in the starting lineup for 15 straight games, was part of two double plays in the first two innings for the Gators. With two outs and the bases loaded in the third frame, Medina grabbed a groundball from Auburn center fielder Morgan Estell and threw it to catcher Aubree Munro who tagged left fielder Tiffany Howard out at home to take Florida out of a bind.

“She’s been working hard,” Rogers said of Medina. “Obviously she hasn’t been playing as much, but when she does play, she works hard.”

Follow Jordan McPherson on Twitter @J_McPherson1126