J.D. Tomlinson’s third season of collegiate golf and coach Buddy Alexander’s 27-year period leading Florida are both over.

In the third and final round of the East Regional at Auburn University Club Saturday, Tomlinson shot 74 (+2) to finish the weekend with a 224 (+8) total. The junior tied for 34th place at the site overall.

But Tomlinson was not the best individual finisher and will not advance to the NCAA Championship in Hutchinson, Kan. Marco Iten of Austin Peay received that honor, shooting 208 (-8) over the three rounds.

Alabama won the team portion of the regional, shooting a 11-under-par 208. The Crimson Tide will move on to the NCAA Championship, along with Kennesaw State, Auburn, Virginia Tech and Texas.

Tomlinson finished as the second-best individual among the five competing. He made one birdie on the seventh hole in the third round.

“[Saturday] was pretty similar to the first two in that he drove the ball pretty well, and he putted pretty well,” said Alexander in a release. “But, unfortunately, this was the worst I’ve seen J.D. pitch and chip, and his iron play still was not sharp. But he battled to the end, and that’s all anyone can ask of him. He’ll learn from this, and he will be a better player next year.”

The end of Tomlinson’s run also marks the end of Alexander’s coaching career at Florida. He announced in late April that he would retire at the conclusion of UF’s season. Alexander’s retirement will officially begin June 30.

Follow Layne Weitzel on Twitter @laynejweitzel