Get ready to welcome a new coach to the University of Florida campus.

UF athletics director Jeremy Foley named J.C. Deacon as the 15th men’s golf coach in program history on Saturday. Deacon, 31, will succeed Buddy Alexander, who announced his retirement in April after 27 seasons with the Gators.

Deacon previously spent four seasons as an assistant coach at his alma mater University of Nevada, Las Vegas. The Rebels finished the 2013-2014 season ranked 30th in the nation and made an appearance at the NCAA Sugar Grove Regional in Illinois.

Foley admited that he did not know a lot about Deacon initially but was impressed by his interview, which helped him land the job.

“It is readily evident that he wants — and has a plan — to make the players successful in the classroom, on the course and in life,” Foley said in a release from the school. “He will do things the right way because with his character and tremendous integrity, he knows no other way. J.C. will fit right in among our coaching staff, and we welcome him to the Gator program.”

In addition to coaching, Deacon has enjoyed success playing as an amateur and professionally. He competed for UNLV from 2001 to 2005, helping the Rebels to a Mountain West Championship in 2002 and NCAA Championship appearances in 2002 and 2003. As a professional, he won the Emerald Hills Classic and Miami Shores Shootout titles in 2007, played the Canadian Tour from 2007 to 2010 and tied for fourth in the 2008 Saskatchewan Open.

He hasn’t been back in a while, but Deacon is no stranger to Florida. The Toronto native transferred from high school in Canada to attend St. Stephen’s Episcopal School and IMG Academy in Bradenton.

He aspired to play collegiate golf for Alexander.

Instead, he’ll be stepping into Alexander’s shoes at the new leader of the UF program.

“I was thrilled when Jeremy first told me,” Deacon said in a release. “I immediately started mentally reviewing those lists I had developed if this opportunity was presented. I want to start that vision I have for this program.”

Deacon has never taken the reins of his own program before, but that didn’t deter Foley, who also hired Kevin O’Sullivan, Will Muschamp, Emily Glaser, Rhonda Faehn, Mike Holloway and Mary Wise.

They all lacked head coaching experience but have now combined for 32 Southeastern Conference titles and seven NCAA championships.

The newest member of the college-wide coaching staff is not fazed by the expectations set for him. Rather, he’s excited and ready for what’s to come.

“I am looking forward to becoming part of something I truly believe in,” Deacon said. “I’ve been a big fan of the Florida program for a long time... I just know there are a serious amount of championships to be won at Florida. I have that platform now, and it is up to me to go out and do the hard work to get it done.”

Follow Layne Weitzel on Twitter @laynejweitzel