Alachua County Sheriff’s deputies arrested a man early Monday after allegedly shooting at a cat with children nearby and for possession of weed.

Officers arrested 62-year-old Turner Wilson on charges of possession of a weapon or ammo by a convicted felon, firing a weapon in public or residential property, possession of less than 20 grams of marijuana and tormenting animals, according to an ASO arrest report.  

On Sunday around 10 p.m., a deputy was called to the 17506 SW 183rd Ave. house for an armed disturbance. The children were staying the night at their grandmother’s house where Wilson allegedly used a revolver to shoot at a cat that was also inside the house while the children were sleeping, according to the report.

The children’s mother heard the gunshot from next door and watched Wilson take the cat from the house. After she came to check on the commotion, she took her children from the house.

A deputy arrived and noticed Wilson exit the house, according to the report. Wilson did not have any weapons on him. He said the revolver was in his car. The revolver was found by another deputy on scene, as well as marijuana.

After questioning, Wilson was uncooperative of the whereabouts of the cat and said, “Just take me to jail.”

Deputies booked Wilson in the Alachua County Jail on Monday around 12 a.m. As of press time, his bond is set at $10,000.

[A version of this story ran on page 1 on 6/17/2014 under the headline "Police say man shot at cat with revolver"]