Police say man threatened to hit UF employee in Peabody Hall

University Police arrested a Gainesville man outside Peabody Hall after he threatened to hit a UF employee over a heated argument. 

Samuel Andrew Mutch, 65, was arrested on charges of threats of violence, battery, resisting arrest and illegal recording of communications. 

Mutch was in Peabody Hall’s Dean of Students Office arguing during a meeting with Laura Matthews, associate director of the Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution, when he was asked to leave by UF employees. 

He then threatened to hit a UF Human Resources employee, present in the office, according to a UPD arrest report.  

An officer heard the commotion and approached the office.

Mutch, who noticed the officer, tried to leave Peabody Hall but was quickly stopped. 

He argued and then bumped chests with the officer — hard enough to knock the officer backwards. 

Another officer arrived, and Mutch was restrained by both officers, according to the report.

Officers were told Mutch recorded Tuesday’s meeting using his phone, according to the report. 

Police were also told that Mutch recorded a meeting about two weeks ago. 

After questioning, Mutch said he did record both meetings. 

Officers booked Mutch into the Alachua County Jail on Tuesday at about 3 p.m. 

He was released on his own recognizance Wednesday at 1 p.m.

[A version of this story ran on page 1 on 7/31/2014 under the headline "Police say man threatened to hit UF employee in Peabody Hall"]