<p>Hunter Joyer (41) attempts to avoid a tackle from Marcel Harris (26) and Quincy Williams (12) during the Orange &amp; Blue Debut on April 12 in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Joyer has the opportunity to play the B-position in Kurt Roper's spread offense.</p>

Hunter Joyer (41) attempts to avoid a tackle from Marcel Harris (26) and Quincy Williams (12) during the Orange & Blue Debut on April 12 in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium. Joyer has the opportunity to play the B-position in Kurt Roper's spread offense.

AlligatorSports continues its position breakdown, with this edition shining light on the tight ends. The B-position in Kurt Roper’s offense will be broken down in this piece.

The tight end position at Florida has been virtually nonexistent since Jordan Reed declared for the NFL Draft following the 2012 season. Tight ends Clay Burton and Tevin Westbrook combined for just four catches for 42 yards in 2013.

The Gators received some good news that will help bolster the position significantly this season when University of Virginia transfer Jake McGee announced his decision to transfer to UF.

McGee is eligible this upcoming season because he is pursuing a graduate degree that is not offered at UVA and therefore is covered in the “one-time transfer exception” detailed in NCAA bylaw 14.1.8.1.

McGee’s showcased experience and playmaking ability in three seasons at UVA, which should earn him a starting spot.

In 36 games for the Cavaliers, he led the team with 71 catches for 769 yards.

A former All-Atlantic Coast Conference tight end, McGee comes through when it counted too — he caught 14 of his 43 total catches last season on third down situations. Florida’s offense last season could only muster a 39-percent conversion rate on third down last season.

McGee’s veteran experience and talented skillset will make him a dangerous target for quarterback Jeff Driskel. His 6-foot-6, 255-pound frame will come in handy with pass blocking schemes for McGee as well — a requirement for the B-position which will be broken down later in this piece.

Seniors Burton and Westbrook returning will provide solid depth behind McGee at the position. While they don’t have many catches in their careers, Roper likes to utilize tight ends early and often within his offensive scheme. Burton and Westbrook should see a lot more balls thrown their way in the new system, as long as they can be consistent targets.

There are a few 2014 signees that could see the field early at tight end. DeAndre Goolsby enrolled early, and came in as the No. 3 tight end out of his home state of Kansas. He had two catches for 32 yards in the Orange and Blue Debut spring game.

Four-star recruit Moral Stephens (6-foot-3, 205 pounds, Perry, Fla., Taylor County High) was originally signed as a wide receiver, but will get a better chance to see playing time at tight end. He has the size that could translate easily to the position.

C’yontai Lewis (6-foot-5, 212 pounds, Tuscaloosa, Ala., Northridge High) was the second tight end signed in the 2014 class. He was a three-star prospect that chose Florida over offers from UCLA and Mississippi State.

The B-position is a key component of Kurt Roper’s offense. Think of it as a combination of a fullback, tight end and h-back. The position operates mostly in the backfield to direct traffic for a zone rush scheme but will need to be able to provide pass protection on certain downs as well.

The player will also be placed on the line, in the slot or split out wide in some cases as well. Whether the player is there or in the backfield, he will serve as another receiving option unless the play calls for strictly blocking from the b.

McGee has the size to be as adequate a blocker as Florida needs, but even more of his upside there is that he’s a very capable pass catcher. McGee’s versatility should put him at the top of the depth chart for the position.

Westbrook will also be utilized at the position as well, but given his roots at tight end, he’ll likely be more of a pass catcher, but his 6-foot-5, 257-pound frame could block if needed.

Another option is fullback Hunter Joyer, who given his natural position could potentially be used in short yardage situations. Joyer being 5-foot-11, however, gives him a disadvantage if he is used as a blocker.

Follow Morgan Moriarty on Twitter @Morgan_Moriarty