Bernie Machen delivers last State of the University address

<p class="p1">UF President Bernie Machen addresses a crowd about UF’s preeminence initiative at his annual State of the University address. This was his last address after a decade-long tenure as president before the university finds a replacement.</p>

UF President Bernie Machen addresses a crowd about UF’s preeminence initiative at his annual State of the University address. This was his last address after a decade-long tenure as president before the university finds a replacement.

For the final time in his decade-long tenure at UF, President Bernie Machen took to the lectern for his State of the University address Thursday.

The speech focused on the UF Rising to National Preeminence initiative and introduced new leaders, like the CEO of UF Health Shands Hospital.

UF’s ambitious plan to become a top 10 university has recently gained substantial financial backing. Machen said research contracts and grants increased from $641 million to $702 million within the last year. Annual donations reached $215.3 million, topping $2 million for the second year. 

“Donors are inspired by preeminence,” Machen said to the crowd in Emerson Alumni Hall. 

In addition to discussing expanding research facilities by more than 3 million square feet, Machen emphasized undergraduate education. Core classes on climate change and data have been added to degrees to lead students to the future.

His initiatives were well received.

“Undergraduates absolutely need to understand the world to function and compete in the global economy,” said Leonardo Villalon, the new dean of the International Center.

The 12th president will take over a healthy university, Machen said.

“We need to keep raising the bar on education,” Machen said. “The state of the university is strong.”

[A version of this story ran on page 1 on 8/29/2014 under the headline "Machen delivers last State of the University address"]