Graduate student receives WWF fellowship for conservation research

The World Wildlife Fund has awarded a UF graduate student a prestigious fellowship for his research in ecological conservation.

Anand Roopsind, a third-year UF graduate student, was one of 26 students awarded the 2014 Russell E. Train Fellowship. Roopsind, 30, received the fellowship for identifying sustainable ways to reduce deforestation.

A native of Guyana, Roopsind met Francis Putz, a professor at the UF Department of Biology, while studying in South America.

“I was the one that convinced him to come to UF,” Putz said. “I think that the award was very well deserved with his skill level and capacity. He’s a very good investment.”

Roopsind’s love of the outdoors and conservation stemmed from his early childhood as he played in the countryside by his grandparent’s home.

Roopsind has grown accustomed to the city life in Gainesville, but he still considers South America his primary research site and hopes to return.

“It’s definitely something that I’m working on,” he said about his research. “I think that’s going to be part of my long-term development and moving toward going back home as well.”

The fund awards graduate students fellowships to pursue graduate degrees in conservation-related fields around the world.

The organization looks for graduate students with academic credentials, professional qualifications and commitment to working in their country of origin, said fellowship director Andrea Santy.

“We’re looking for people who are leaders,” she said, “people who have really compelling research.”

With the fellowship, Roopsind can receive up to three years of funding with a maximum amount of $30,000 per year.

Roopsind expects to graduate in 2017 and hopes to intern for the World Wildlife Fund after he receives his doctorate degree.

“I’m optimistic,” he said. “My fellowship is for three years, so it’s perfect timing as I move toward the end of my five years of studying at UF. It’s a great incentive.”

[A version of this story ran on page 6 on 9/15/2014 under the headline "Graduate student receives WWF fellowship for conservation research"]