<p>Karina Gutsche (right) walks on the field prior to Florida's 5-2 exhibition win against Florida International on Aug. 14 at James G. Pressly Stadium.</p>

Karina Gutsche (right) walks on the field prior to Florida's 5-2 exhibition win against Florida International on Aug. 14 at James G. Pressly Stadium.

Every athlete’s senior year is supposed to be special but Karina Gutsche’s final season has taken a different route.

After suffering from a sprained MCL in the preseason, Gutsche has been limited to the bench missing six games.

But finally returning to the field last weekend against New Mexico, she has already defeated her toughest challenge.

"The biggest obstacle for me was just overcoming the fact that I couldn’t play," Gutsche said. "Sitting and watching or not being able to run was kind of difficult for me. I’ve always been playing soccer since I was 3. I think my role switched a little bit and I’ve enjoyed it so far."

Gutsche’s duty while sitting out was being able to guide her teammates with knowledge.

The senior center defensive back committed to her new role of being vocal and enthusiastic with her teammates while on the bench.

Relying on her experience of her collegiate career at Florida, has given Gutsche insight on coaching her teammates on different team’s formations.

Mentoring her team while still being a part of the roster has aided Florida to a 5-2 record even with her absence from the field.

Now, Gutsche can focus on finishing her last season as a Gator.

"With the fact that me being off the field and seeing everything I think that helps a lot." Gutsche said. "With just the vision and then once I get on the field again, then that might be able to help even more with me playing."

Playing on the field is where coach Becky Burleigh needs Gutsche the most. The Lithia, Fla., native averaged 85.54 minutes per match in 2013, which was the second among her teammates. Adding to what she’s accomplished at Florida, she started all 24 matches last season, was named to the Top Drawer Soccer National Team twice in October and is close to recording 3,000 minutes played at UF.

Returning to the norms of routine soccer habits isn’t simple.

However, for Gutsche, getting back to playing wasn’t difficult.

"My norms haven’t changed on the field. I definitely still try to play as tough as I used to," Gutsche said. "In the first game I might of been a little hesitant, but that’s just going to come with time on the field. My ritual off the field is that I have to now put on a brace before I play, which is a little different, but that’s nothing for me."

Follow Lawrence Laguna on Twitter @LagunaLawrence