The dramatic how-to videos of the ‘90s, such as a McDonald’s training video and a 1997 instructional video “How to Have Cybersex on the Internet,” will come alive this weekend.

Curators Nick Prueher and Joe Pickett will host the Found Footage Festival (FFF) for the second time in Gainesville on Sunday at 9 p.m. at the High Dive, 210 SW Second Ave. 

“Formats may change, but stupid ideas are here to stay.”

That’s the reason 38-year-old Joe Pickett gave as to why he and his business partner decided to dig around thrift stores, garage sales and dumpsters across the nation 20 years ago: to find old, random videos.

The small town Wisconsin boys, who met in sixth grade, have compiled a variety of VHS clips since their high school days. 

“It feels like this was kind of an inside joke that now other people got let in on,” said Prueher, 38.

In April 2004, they debuted their first show in New York City and have gone on to sell out of hundreds of shows each year across the U.S. and Canada — they’ve also recently gone international. The showcase consists of 15 videos, each about 3 minutes long, accompanied by their critiques and commentary on their scavenger hunt.

Initially, it was just a hobby. 

“There wasn’t a lot happening in the city of Eau Claire,” Prueher said. “We wanted to make ourselves and our friends laugh.” 

Then it was just a matter of timing.  

Prueher studied electronic media at the University of Wisconsin with Pickett and became heavily involved in comedy. He has written for the satirical online news outlet, “The Onion,” with Pickett.

Some of the people who show up on the videos have actually been invited to attend the FFF shows to reunite and reminisce with others.

Pickett said videos share a universal language.

“Everybody can relate to stupid videos,” he said.

Tickets are $8 and are available for purchase at foundfootagefest.com/tour/ and at the door.