Question: What is the best salon to get a haircut with regards to price and quality? — Anonymous
This week we’re discussing the ins and outs of living in Gainesville. The college experience involves more than just your campus. It involves the entire area you live in, and Gainesville is the ultimate college town.
The only thing that could make it better is knowing exactly where to go to avoid missing out on all that it has to offer. Here is a selection of the best places in Gainesville, from salons to restaurants and everything in between:
- Mia & Maxx Hair Studio: This Regis salon is my go-to place and can be found in Oaks Mall. Don’t let the prices fool you. You can get a top-notch style, cut and color without paying an arm and a leg. I’ve never seen less-than-perfect results, and the price is nearly 25 percent less than competing salons in the area.
- Beach Break Salon: The prices here can be a tad bit higher than Mia & Maxx, but the service is unparalleled. The stylists are not only amazing at the cuts and colors, but also you’ll meet awesome people and experience what Gainesville is all about — the welcoming atmosphere.
- Avant Garde Salon: If you’re looking for a salon that has it all, this is your place. Avant Garde offers colors, cuts, blowouts, nail services, massages and much more. This salon is the kind of place you can feel comfortable being a bit unsure what color you want your hair this week and trusting your stylist to make it look perfect.
- Fantastic Nails: I love getting Pink & Whites here. They offer complete nail services for men and women, too. Prices are reasonable, and the staff is friendly.
- Magic Nails: You can rest assured in this nail salon that the staff will always take their time to give you the best results possible. If you need a waxing, they always deliver. Unfortunately, it can get a little busy since they are well known for doing an awesome job without charging crazy prices. You’ll want to give yourself some extra time.
- Wing Stop: If you’re a wing lover, this is a must. It has the perfect meal deals for tailgating, takeout or Friday nights at home. The french fries are delicious, and I love the hot-flavored wing sauce.
- SweetBerries: Sandwiches, salads and frozen custards — what could possibly go wrong? Events are often held for students, and there is a mailing list. Also, portions of meal prices are contributed to local charities.
- Satchel’s Pizza: You’ve probably heard of it or at least seen the bumper stickers, but seriously it’s worth checking out. It took me three semesters in to visit, and I wish I would have stopped by sooner. It’s a perfect environment and great food. You might experience a wait, but it will be worth it.
Remember, freshmen: For any other questions about everything from UF and Gainesville life to the college experience, submit your questions, and we’ll try to provide an answer next week.