Harris suspended indefinitely from Florida football team

<p>A Gainesville Police Department forensic crime unit vehicle is parked outside of UF's Springs Residential Complex on Monday afternoon.</p>

A Gainesville Police Department forensic crime unit vehicle is parked outside of UF's Springs Residential Complex on Monday afternoon.

UF true freshman Treon Harris has been suspended from the Florida football team, the school announced Monday. The team was informed Monday morning via text message of Harris’ suspension and was told they will be addressed about the matter at practice.

According to a statement released by UF Monday afternoon, Harris is being investigated for sexually assaulting a female student on Florida's campus Sunday morning.

The University of Florida Police Department's crime log shows that a sexual battery case occurred at UF's Springs Residential Complex between 2:30 a.m. and 3:25 a.m. on Sunday, but does not identify who was charged in the case.

Maj. Brad Barber, UPD public information officer, confirmed Monday afternoon that the case at Springs is the one involving Harris.

UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes, who also confirmed the incident at Springs involved Harris, declined to comment on Harris' whereabouts or where he lives on campus.

According to a release, the Gainesville Police Department has been asked by UPD to collect potential items of forensic evidence in relation to the Harris case.

Huntley Johnson, Harris' attorney, said that they are "cooperating with the investigation fully," but would give no further comment.

The case is still being investigated, according to the release.

"We have no tolerance for sexual assault on our campus," UF president Bernie Machen said in a release. "The university is committed to providing a safe and inclusive environment for every member of the UF community. We must strive to protect all of our students from sexual harassment and assault, and do everything in our power to promote a safe learning environment."

Florida football coach Will Muschamp’s weekly Monday press conference was cancelled today, a UF representative announced via email. No explanation was given as to why the press conference was cancelled.

The press conference is being rescheduled for later in the week, according to the email.

Florida is coming off a 10-9, come-from-behind win against Tennessee on Saturday in Knoxville, Tenn.

The Gators scored all 10 of their points against the Volunteers in the fourth quarter on back-to-back drives led by Harris, who replaced starter Jeff Driskel with eight seconds remaining in the third quarter.

UPDATE: A source close to the team who is not an eyewitness says they learned Harris is being accused of forcing a female victim into her residence hall at the Springs Residential Complex then allegedly sexually assaulting her in the room in the early hours Sunday Oct. 5. 

The source also said although the victim has a roommate, a bathroom separates rooms in suites in the complex, and it is not uncommon to be unable to hear what is going on in the other room. It is unknown whether the roommate was in the residence hall at the time of the incident.

Follow alligatorsports on Twitter @alligatorSports for updates.

Freshman quarterback Treon Harris looks to pass the ball during the fourth quarter of Florida's 10-9 victory against Tennessee on Saturday at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville.