A Citra, Florida man accused of attempting to cash fraudulent checks evaded capture for two hours Wednesday as he led a force of police officers, helicopters and K-9 units on a manhunt through dense forests and swampy grounds. 

A police dog, Argos, caught Deontae Demetris Kelly, 23, who went underwater to elude officers near Fred Bear Drive and Williston Road, according to a report.

The chase began at about 11:15 a.m. when Gainesville Police received a call from Gator’s Dockside about suspicious checks.

Kelly had attempted to cash checks from Gator’s Dockside at Publix on Southwest Archer Road. Publix alerted the sports bar and both confirmed to police that the checks were fraudulent.

GPD spokesman Officer Ben Tobias said Kelly did not work at Gator’s Dockside, and it is believed that he was manufacturing the checks.

Police said Kelly also attempted to cash other checks at a different Publix location Tuesday using his own ID.

But when police attempted to apprehend Kelly at Publix, he fled across Archer Road and into the woods behind WingHouse of Gainesville. GPD and helicopter units searched the area for Kelly. The Alachua County Sheriff’s Office also joined the search when witnesses spotted Kelly outside of GPD jurisdiction.

After two hours, officers on foot captured Kelly in a swampy area of the woods. 

“This incident is a perfect example of local law enforcement working as one team,” Tobias said. 

Kelly received treatment for a canine bite and other injuries. He will likely be charged with two counts of fraud, resisting arrest and potentially other probation-related charges. Tobias said Kelly also has a history in Marion County for fraud, battery on law enforcement and escape.