UFitness: 5 embarrassing gym stories

Strange things can happen at the gym. We’re just too focused to notice until it happens to us. You've probably been there, and if you haven’t been there, you most likely know someone who has.

Just Doin' It (copy)

UF students show their intensity at the Nike Fuel Your Team Intensity #COUNTS workout in the Stephen C. O’Connell Center in March 2013.

I decided to ask some UF students at the embarrassing moments they have seen or experienced themselves at the gym. Here at the top five:

1. “I’ve seen people fall off machines, it’s pretty funny, (and) the seat rows, a guy passed out on it.” – Dillon Slater, 22-year-old molecular biology senior.

2. “I work out at Southwest pretty frequently, usually at the same time of day. I have a friend (tell me), 'My friend takes pictures of you while you’re at the gym working out, and you don’t know it, but she does it all the time.'" – Hakeem White, 20-year-old nutrition junior.

3. “In undergrad, I remember coming in (the gym) with one of my good friends, and he started complaining that he was feeling a little light headed. I think he’d gone out drinking the night before with his frat. He decided that he would try to work it off... and he ended up passing out after a bench press set. It looked like I knocked him out... I was just standing over him, and he’s just lying on the ground knocked out cold.” – Matt Angiulli, 27-year-old law student.

4. “Probably the most embarrassing moment I had was inside the gym jumping on the plyometric boxes and one foot missed and I kind of fell off it.” – Desmond Foster, 29-year-old graduate student.

5. “I was doing a power clean, and at the bottom when I squatted, I farted really loudly. There were four other people around, and they were laughing.” –Noah Hackney, 21-year-old microbiology senior.