<p>A picture of the Jam, a local music venue located on 817 W University Ave.</p>

A picture of the Jam, a local music venue located on 817 W University Ave.

One of Gainesville’s classic music venues is making a comeback.

The JAM, which closed in December, will be partially open starting mid-January. The venue will host private events, popular touring bands and an open-mic night traditionally known as World Wednesday.

They’re calling it “The JAM encore,” co-owner Eddy Arenas said.

“The reason we decided to close was because the business model wasn’t producing enough to sustain it,” Arenas said. “We weren’t making enough money to stay open five nights a week.”

The JAM owners lease the venue on a month-to-month basis. After closing, it was difficult to say goodbye to the “Jamily” while the spot was still available, Arenas said.

“It took closing for us to give up on the five- to six-night-a-week approach,” co-owner Blake Briand said. The key question then became “What can we do?”

Briand said he is aiming to open Jan. 14 to bring back World Wednesday, when anyone can perform at the bar. He is working with a few bands like The Heavy Pets and Archnemesis for future shows, but no definite dates have been set.

Originally slated to close in November, the venue’s popularity kept it running until Dec. 5, when it hosted its — then — final show.

“We’re not pulling a McRib,” Briand said, alluding to the barbecue-flavored sandwich periodically offered at McDonald’s. Under the current circumstances, he said the team found a solution it had not considered before.

David Nassau has been going to The JAM since his freshman year at UF. The 20-year-old marketing junior 

said The JAM’s closure signaled the end of an era.

Nassau lived with Briand, so he was one of the first JAM-enthusiasts.

Although The JAM is reopening, this may still be the last string of shows for the venue.

Innovation Square at UF owns the block the venue thrives on. Ed Poppell, the director of UF Development Corporation for Innovation Square, said the corporation is selling the property to a developer who plans on replacing it and the surrounding buildings with a luxury apartment complex.

Poppell said it’ll be a few months before the demolition begins.

As a member of the Innovation Academy, Nassau understands the reasoning behind the development plans, but he still has hope for his favorite bar.

“I do think we need to maintain a solid music venue in town,” Nassau said, “and I think The JAM is the best one we have.”

[A version of this story ran on page 1 on 1/8/2015 under the headline "Music venue JAM may jam again"]