Supplier violations leave Gainesville Chipotles without carnitas

<p class="p1">Chipotle recently added tofu to its menu for vegan and vegetarian customers. The price for the tofu option is $6.50, the same as ordering chicken in a burrito, taco or bowl.&nbsp;</p>

Chipotle recently added tofu to its menu for vegan and vegetarian customers. The price for the tofu option is $6.50, the same as ordering chicken in a burrito, taco or bowl. 

Following a violation from a supplier, Chipotle has suspended pork sales in about one-third of its locations — including both in Gainesville.

In order to uphold its ethical standards, the company demands its suppliers raise pigs in humane conditions that allow the animals to have outdoor access, according to a statement released by the company.

“This is fundamentally an animal welfare decision, and is rooted in our unwillingness to compromise our standards where animal welfare is concerned,” the statement read.

Saundra TenBroeck, the undergraduate coordinator for the UF Department of Animal Sciences, said there are positives and negatives to confinement versus letting animals roam free. She said some people don’t believe caging animals at any time is appropriate. Either way, she said, the restaurant has to adapt.

“If Chipotle is advertising organically grown pork and naturally raised pork, then it is incumbent on them to buy pork from producers that are raising pork in that scenario — otherwise they’re false advertisers,” she said. “They’re going to have to make a choice: find a supplier that can meet their demands or change the way they advertise their products.”

Stephen Federici, an 18-year-old UF mechanical engineering freshman, said he is unhappy Chipotle suspended pork sales but thinks the move has a positive impact.

“For Chipotle, it’s good to send that message to the supplier, so they get the memo,” he said.

To combat the shortage, the company is exploring new options like finding new suppliers and different cuts of pork, according to the statement. Chipotle has not given a timeframe for the return of pork to its stores.

[A version of this story ran on page 8 on 1/20/2015 under the headline “Carnitas no longer available at Gainesville Chipotle restaurants"]