The Samuel P. Harn Museum of Art is receiving national attention for its digital member card app with a recent feature in artdaily.org.

The online art newspaper featured the app, citing it as an innovative way to increase members.

“It’s very important for us to encourage students to bring art into their lives,” said Tami Wroath, Harn director of marketing and public relations. “No matter where they are, they can use the app, and they can take advantage of whatever art museums are around them at the time.”

The member card app was released Jan. 16, and the museum offers a free membership courtesy of UF Student Government.

It is available for iOS and Android phones and is free to download. The app includes free or discounted admission into art museums around the U.S. as well as a check-off feature for the museums visited.

There are about 900 free student memberships still available, Wroath said.

UF visual art studies senior Carolina Delgado said she is planning to use her app and membership perks for the Brooklyn or Whitney museums.

“I’m going to New York in March,” Delgado, 23, said, “so there are a lot of museums there that I believe I can get into for free with my member benefits.”

[A version of this story ran on page 6 on 2/2/2015 under the headline “Harn digital membership receives nat’l recognition"]