Infinity Hall construction half-finished

<p>The south side of Infinity Hall is seen from Southwest Second Avenue on Monday.</p>

The south side of Infinity Hall is seen from Southwest Second Avenue on Monday.

Infinity Hall has reached its vertical limit.

The UF off-campus, five-story residence hall hit the halfway point in its $24 million construction Friday.

Infinity Hall, located at 978 SW Second Ave., is structurally complete and set to be finished in July, said Jason Perry, senior vice president of Signet Enterprises, the company that developed and funded the building.

The fifth and final floor’s frame was completed Friday. Next on the agenda is finishing the exterior, roof and mechanics. Students will move into the hall this Fall.

To celebrate the building milestone, Perry said a potted tree was placed on the highest point, a construction tradition called topping out.

“It’s a good way to stop and thank all the subcontractors and laborers for their hard work,” Perry said.

Sharon Blansett, assistant to the associate vice president for student affairs, wrote in an email that Infinity Hall will house 312 students, including resident assistants. 

Rental rates are still to be determined, but she said they should be similar to those of Hume Hall, which currently costs $3,453 to $3,655 per person per semester.

The hall will be home to the Entrepreneurial Living Learning Community, but it will be open to students in any major, Blansett said.  

The building will also house “makerspaces,” which include a classroom, 3-D printing lab and workspace for students to develop products.

[A version of this story ran on page 9 on 2/3/2015 under the headline “Infinity Hall construction half-finished"]