Monday, June 17, 2024

Lauren Haeger working on pitching endurance entering senior year

<p>Lauren Haeger swings during Florida’s 2-0 win against Ole Miss on March 9 at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium.&nbsp;</p>

Lauren Haeger swings during Florida’s 2-0 win against Ole Miss on March 9 at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium. 

Lauren Haeger has been a staple in the UF softball lineup and pitching rotation since she was a freshman.

Now, as a senior coming off a national championship season, she isn’t riding off into the sunset just yet – she’s working harder than ever.

"This Fall, I’ve felt really good," Haeger said. "I spent a lot more time in the cages I think than I ever have. Coach (Tim) Walton and I have had a lot of conversations about it and I’ve been working a lot harder in my bullpens to try to make every single one of them count."

As a pitcher, Haeger has been successful during her three years at UF, posting a 41-10 career record with a 2.01 ERA.

She also finished second in the Southeastern Conference last year holding opponents to a .190 batting average.

This year, Haeger said she has worked on her endurance in the circle and is focusing on throwing seven innings well as opposed to throwing a couple innings at full throttle.

Haeger will have to step up to help make up for the loss of Hannah Rogers, who graduated last year.

"We’re gonna miss Hannah, I miss Hannah as a person, as my friend, I miss having her around, we all do," she said. "But I took a lot from Hannah and I kind of have now become to the mentality where I’m gonna have to throw more than two innings a game like after Hannah."

At the plate, Haeger has been a consistent middle-of-the-lineup power threat during her three-year career – slugging 52 home runs while knocking in 189 RBIs. Her 20 home runs last year were sixth best in the country.

But last year is in the past and Haeger knows teams will be gunning for the Gators this year.

"Yeah we won with what we did last year but we have to work harder this year because everyone is, you know every time they play us they’re gonna try to make it this big thing," Haeger said. "We’re just gonna go out there and do what we normally do."

While Haeger is ready for the daily grind the season brings, she knows this is her last year, and she said she wants to remember to have fun.

"I’ve been playing this game for 16 years now and for me it’s coming to an end and a new chapter of my life," she said. "The season’s really, really long but it goes by so fast and so quickly and that’s what we try to tell the younger players."

One of those younger players is freshman pitcher Aleshia Ocasio, who said Haeger and sophomore pitcher Delanie Gourley have helped prepare her for the season.

"Coming from high school to college, it’s a different game, it’s faster paced," Ocasio said. "So it’s a little bit different and I’m just ready to get started."

Follow Patrick Pinak on Twitter @pinakk12