New UF College of Medicine anesthesiology chair a longtime Gator

The new chair of the UF College of Medicine’s department of anesthesiology is forever a Gator.

Dr. Timothy Morey, interim chair since 2013, started his new position as the chair of the department of anesthesiology Monday — but he’s not new to UF.  

After finishing his undergraduate studies at UF in 1989, he continued on to its medical school then completed his residency at UF Health Shands Hospital. He served in various faculty positions within the college for 18 years.

“Dr. Morey presented an exciting vision for the department and its faculty — one of national preeminence, consistent with and building from UF’s campus-wide preeminence journey, and a logical roadmap to get us there,” wrote Dr. Michael Good, dean of the college and a member of the search committee for a chair, in an email.

There were seven candidates for the position. As the new chair, his yearly salary will be $525,000.

Morey said a few of his goals for the department include expanding the residency program.

“We’d like to grow the four-year program a little bit because it is what the students want these days,” he said.

He also plans to add more anesthesiologists to the department and work with other departments to make research more interdisciplinary, among other things, Morey said.

He said the faculty in the college have been positive about his promotion.

“There’s a lot of support and welcome,” he said.

[A version of this story ran on page 9 on 2/3/2015 under the headline “New anesthesiology chair a longtime Gator"]