<p>Tyler Richards, an 18-year-old UF biomedical engineering freshman, speaks with a student about Access Party’s platform. Members of Access Party and Swamp Party stood around Turlington Plaza asking students for their input about issues that affected them.</p>

Tyler Richards, an 18-year-old UF biomedical engineering freshman, speaks with a student about Access Party’s platform. Members of Access Party and Swamp Party stood around Turlington Plaza asking students for their input about issues that affected them.

Students walking through campus were met with wide grins from political party representatives holding large white notepads.

Swamp Party and Access Party began platform generation Monday, a process in which the parties crowdsource ideas to apply to their campaign platforms.

Candidates running with Access spent the afternoon on Turlington Plaza and North Lawn, where they urged students to write out their suggestions to improve campus life.

Steven Critelli, 23, scribbled on Access’s board, “more covered outdoor seats.”  

The UF German studies junior said he frequently eats by Little Hall Express and finds it difficult to find seating. He said he chose to write his idea on Access’s board because he liked the values of the new party.

“I like the idea of transparency,” he said.

Heather Converse, 27, pointed out an idea she liked on Swamp’s board. The UF anthropology junior said she agreed that a bike-rental program would be useful. She said similar rental systems are common in places like Israel and European countries.

“It saves a lot of gas, and in Gainesville, it’s super effective,” she said.

Swamp platform generation will continue today from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on the Plaza of the Americas and Turlington Plaza, as well as at the Reitz Union. Access will continue today from 10:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Reitz Union and also on Turlington Plaza.

[A version of this story ran on page 1 on 2/10/2015 under the headline “Swamp, Access parties crowdsource for platforms"]