Gator Law ACLU to march to remember Selma, rally for rights

It’s been 50 years since the civil rights march from Selma to Montgomery, and the Gator Law American Civil Liberties Union is holding its own to continue the rally for peace.

The organization is holding a civil rights march to celebrate the famous protest’s 50th anniversary from the UF Levin College of Law to the Plaza of the Americas at 11 a.m. Saturday, ending with a peace rally.

The historic, 50-mile-long march in 1965 led to the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

Ben Silva, Gator Law ACLU president and a second-year law student, said this weekend’s march will also be a rally for the rights of former convicted felons.

Almost 2 million people in Florida have permanently lost their rights to vote, hold public office or serve on a jury because they were convicted of a felony, Silva, 34, wrote in an email.

“Florida is one of only three states that imposes lifetime civil rights bans on ex-offenders while most states have automatic restoration of civil rights after release,” Silva said.

Brian Lawrence, the president of the Black Law Students Association and a second-year law student, said the event’s goals coincide with the vision of equality and fairness of the Selma march.

“UF BLSA has historically been very supportive of the restoration of civil rights for non-violent convicted felons, and this is a great way to reaffirm that commitment,” the 24-year-old said.

The ACLU of Florida and Floridians for a Fair Democracy will be petitioning to place a constitutional amendment on the 2016 ballot for automatic restoration of civil rights for ex-offenders — except those convicted for murder or sex offenses — upon completion of the conditions of their release.

“Selma is not just a moment to be remembered,” Silva said, “but an ongoing struggle for equality for everyone.”

[A version of this story ran on page 5 on 3/18/2015 under the headline “March to remember Selma, rally for rights”]